Monday, March 12, 2012

God's Extravagant Love

By Brenda Boen
October 2007

Have you ever been extravagant? Let’s examine just what that word means. My dictionary defines extravagant as spending much more than is necessary, exceeding the bounds of reason, lavish and abundant.

Have you ever gone above and beyond when giving a gift to someone? Perhaps you wanted to lavish your spouse, a child, a parent, or a friend. I know I’ve gone overboard many times over the years. I just wanted to do more than usual as an outpouring of love for my family and friends. Of course, it doesn’t have to be associated with money. It can be time spent giving of yourself helping someone or doing something that pampers someone else. When our families get together for meals I provide many choices and delicious items to satisfy their appetites. And when my grandchildren are here I like to spend my time paying attention to them and showing them how much Grandma really loves them. We sit in the floor and I read those stories over and over and over again.

God is like that with us. He lavishes us with his outpouring love all the time. He is always there when we need Him. 

You know, God’s love is incredibly extravagant. He loves us exceedingly, abundantly above all that we could ever imagine. How do we know this? He gave the ultimate sacrifice because He loves us. He came to earth and gave Himself up on the cross so that we may live. He paid the ultimate price. I’d say that was extravagant, wouldn’t you?

Have you ever been asked the question, “Have you ever loved someone so much it hurt?”  I think we could say that Jesus Christ does. When He died on the cross for our sins it hurt, literally. He suffered pain and anguish.   But He did it voluntarily for you and me because He loves us that much. He has an extravagant love for us all.

Casting Crowns sing a song that talks about this called “Your Love is Extravagant”. Here are the lyrics:

Your love is extravagant
Your friendship, it is intimate
I feel like moving to the rhythm of Your grace
Your fragrance is intoxicating in our secret place
Your love is extravagant


Spread wide in the arms of Christ
is the love that covers sin
No greater love have I ever known
You considered me a friend
Capture my heart again


Your love is extravagant

In Acts 20:24 Paul said, “What matters most to me is to finish what God started: the job the Master Jesus gave me of letting everyone I meet know all about this incredibly extravagant generosity of God.” (The Message)

You have been loved so much it hurt.  God has poured out his grace on you.  You don’t have to do anything except accept it.  It’s His unmerited favor, undeserved at that, but necessary for salvation.  Never forget that God loves you, extravagantly. 

Oh dear friends, join with me as we let everyone know about this “incredibly extravagant generosity of God.”

No comments: